August is usually the month when the fashion industry from magazines to stores focus on denim.Jeans are a great way to transition from Summer to Fall and a great pair is the building block to a versatile wardrobe. It is important to update your jeans to flatter your figure and reflect current trends.I have been designing denim for almost 25 years and here are the most frequent questions I get.I have answered the questions briefly so you get the information you need and do not have to spend hours researching.
1.My Workplace now allows me to wear Jeans to work. What are the rules to follow?
- Go for a Dark Wash with Minimal Decoration or a Crisp White
- Dress up with Dressy Tops, Light Sweaters & Jackets
- Add Elegant Accessories
- Keep it Smart with a Casual Vibe
- Pick the Right Shoes
- Here are some images of denim being done right for work at this time of year
2.With so many different types of denim, what should I look for in a Pair of Jeans that will be Versatile?
- Stretch – Comfort & Fit(Look for a 4 way stretch)
- Poly Cotton or Cotton Spandex Blend – Easy Care and shape retention
- Great Hand with a Clean Wash
- Mid Weight (8 ozs to 10 ozs) – Great all Year durability
- Classic Style
3.I have heard so much about having the Right Fitting Jeans in order for them to be Flattering. What should I be looking for when I try a pair on?
- Contoured Waistband
- Waist – Not too Tight you should be comfortably insert two fingers into the waistband
- Rise – 1 to 3 inches below your Belly Button
- No Whiskers in Front
- Fitted through the Thigh and Knee
- Flared or Straight depending on your Body Shape and preference
- Check out you Rear View should be snug but not too tight
- The side seam should be straight( if it is distorted your jeans are too tight)
4.What is the Correct Length for my Jeans?
- Front – Slight Break not too much fabric
- Flats in the back -Touch the Floor
- Heels in the back -1/4 inch off the Floor
- Better to have separate pairs to wear with heels and flats,but an H on the label for the ones that are hemmed for heels
5.In order to get the Best Fit from my Jeans what should I wear under them?
Magic begins with the Right Foundation,make sure your underwear is:
- Not creating any Visible Panty Lines
- Not too Tight
- Has a Lower Rise than your Jeans
- Nude in color is best specially under white jeans
- Tummy and Thigh control if your jeans are super skinny
6.What is the most flattering jeans for my body shape?
- Pear Body Shapes: Bootleg with dark wash,medium rise
- Apple Body Shapes: Straight Legs that is cropped with a higher waist
- Strawberry Body shape:Wide leg or flare is a lighter wash,decorated below the knee
- Hourglass Body shape:All leg shapes and rises work but avoid boyfriend jeans
- Pencil Body shape:longer length straight or flared legs,slightly higher rise
- See cheatsheet for other flattering details
6.What should I be looking for right now?
- The Good news is that Skinny,Flared,Baggy and Straight Legs are in this season
- We are seeing a wide variety washes from super light to deep darks,go with a light wash light now and darker towards winter
- The high waist straight leg jean is a must have right now so if you do not have one do get it
- Pintucks and Ribbon are big details and the do flatter and lengthen your legs so do pick up a pair
- Embroidery is a must have and really adds a touch of fun to your jean wardrobe.
- Hem details are a great way to bring some drama when you wear jeans in the evening or on the red carpet
So these are the top seven issues that come up in most minds when they shop for denim.Take your time to find the right pair for you.It is worth the effort.I say have 3 pairs,a great pair that you can wear to work,a super comfortable and cute pair for weekends and a dressy pair for evening.