The one thing we have left to dress for right now is our Zoom calls.Dressing for Zoom is slightly different than dressing for a normal work day.
What are the differences?
1.Offices tend to be a little more formal,it would be strange to be taking a Zoom call in a tailored suit from home.
2.Your outfit has to multitask as between calls you may be a cook, a teacher ,a referee or even a PE instructor.
3.The focus is on the top half but wearing something on the bottom does help.
4.Your look has to be professional and casual at the same time.
With a little planning and some last minute effort you can look sensational on your call
Here is how you do it.
- Start with a great base outfit that embodies your shape and style.Make sure you Zoom outfit reflects how you normally dress for work
- Keep it Simple-no fussy detail or lines
- Make it Streamlined-great fabric that does not wrinkle
- Monochromatic-dark colors in rich tones of blue, red, pink, grey and black look best
- Comfortable- fits your body, elastic waistbands and styles that drape without cling
What to avoid at all costs
- Busy prints-they can pixelate on camera and are distracting
- Stiff fabrics-can wrinkle and pull
- Green and Yellow-unless you have a great tan they can wash you out
- Ill-fitting and Tight clothing-If you are uncomfortable people can sense it
Once you have your outfit on look in the mirror and make sure it meets the following criteria
It should do the following
- Make you feel Confident
- Look Beautiful
- Be Pulled Together
- Read Chic
- Flattering to you on camera,do a quick check on your computer or phone
Just before your call-set an alarm 5 minutes before start time and do the following
CHANGE OUT OR ADD ONE ITEM-this elevates your all day look a notch
- Replace a tee shirt with soft dressy top
- Add a jacket or a cardigan for instant polish
ADD AN ACCESSORY–this gives your look a little more polish,never add sunglasses or hair accessories they can be distracting
- Put on a flattering necklace
- Add some interesting earrings
- Add a scarf close to your neck
TIP-you can balance your face shape and complement it by adding a necklace that hits your flattering neck point here is how.
APPLY A TOUCH OF COLOR-it is unrealistic to be walking around you house with a full face of makeup so..
Apply a touch of muted eyeshadow
Add a sharp lipstick in an appropriate color(stay away from red)
Dust your cheeks with a soft blush
or just add a filter to your camera
BEFORE YOU HIT CONNECT
Check your background or create one on Zoom
Make sure your lighting is right,it should be to the side of you or in front never behind YOU
Check your microphone