Just like Sex and the City,Scarves and Summer is an integral part of the New York style scene. Make them a key part of your Summer Style.They are extremely versatile and can be used as a headwrap, a top, a skirt or even a dress
The windows at Bergdorf Goodman featured a stunning array of Hermes scarves worn in all kinds of ways.I used this as inspiration to create 6 different ways you can transform a scarf in a quick jiffy.
Remember your scarf is your Lifesaver and can elevate a simple outfit in an instant.Keep a couple handy in your bag at all times.
Here are some options with easy instructions. I have taken some of the guesswork out for you.
Choose one or two in a light weight cotton or poly chiffon,usually a 36″ square works really well.Since this summer is about print matching you can use two contrasting scarves to create a wow look.
Have a Stylish Summer
Major winter weather is here and some of you have had almost 2 weeks of below freezing temperatures.We are expecting record low temperatures starting today all over the United States and Canada.
Winter is no excuse to look like a Bag lady or a Michelin man just to stay warm.Style never freezes.Staying warm and cozy means piling on the layers but once inside you may encounter near tropical temperatures.Your look has to work both indoors and outside.
Layering adds complexity to a fashionista’s quest to maintain a certain level of chic.Just getting in and out of layers tends to mess up hair,makeup and general decorum.If you are not careful you can end up looking and feeling like a very messy layer cake.
Follow these simple 5 steps to stay fashionable,chic and comfortable no matter how low the temperature drops.
1.Choose your base layer wisely.
Most people think no one is going to see it so why bother and then you get to a really hot office or department store and have to strip down.Your first layer should be
2.Your layers should work together.
- Your next layer should be easy on,easy off to not destroy hair and make up.Zip and button fronts work really well,as to cowls and deep necklines.
- Your pieces should all have the same feel or spirit working together and standing alone.Make sure they all have the same mood.
- Lay out all the pieces on the bed and do a quick check before you put them on.
- If it is really cold go with a chunky wool sweater as it traps air.
3.Create interesting color stories.
- Stick to the same color family with one pop color.Start mixing in a Spring piece or two.
- If you choose to go monochromatic mix up your textures or else your outfit will look flat.Avoid all black if you can.
- Pay attention to your skin tone,most people get paler in the winter so something that looked great 3 months ago may not work right now.
4.Pay attention to fit.
- Every layer should be figure flattering,as you go up make sure each layer is slightly bigger.
- Nothing looks worse than jamming four layers under a jacket or coat that was made for one.The stuffed sausage look is one of the most common layering mistakes.Opt for a wrap coat or a poncho that can take many layers and look good.The good news is technical innovations in fabric and construction have created coats that are super warm and thin at the same time.They are pricey but worth the investment.Look for a more classic style that will not go out of date.
- Make sure you have mobility especially that you can drive once you get in to a car.
5.Make sure to ice the layer cake which is your outfit.
- Your final layer is the most important,Do not fall in to the trap of “I am going to take my coat off when I get there so let me just throw on this old super warm thing”This is a common mistake.You will run in to several people before you get your coat off it is Murphy’s law.Match your coat to your look;have a great sporty coat for day that goes well with jeans and pants and have a dressier one for night that works with dresses and skirts.For most occasions the ideal top layer is an easy fitting coat that looks stylish no matter how many layers lie beneath.
- Have fun with accessories,make sure you always have a great scarf and gloves that complement your outfit. A stylish hat will keep you warm and chic.You lose a lot of your body heat from your head so choose one that fits well. Faux fur is a big trend this season and keeps you super warm.Carry a bigger handbag that will allow you to store a layer until you need it.
- Boots are the way to go for footwear.They really complete a layered look and can be both warm and stylish.Make sure you get a pair with great traction because a fashionista must always be upright.Carry your cute heels in your bigger bag for when you get to your destination.
Here are 5 simple things you can do to reflect this season most significant trends.
1.Rock some Red
Red is the number 1 color this season and is outselling black in certain items,if head to toe red is not your thing a great bag or shoe will do just fine.
2.Take a walk on the Wild side.
It is all about everything animal,be brave and rock an animal print coat or just be subtle and work a great print shoe
For more on this seasons must have prints go to http://sunilr.com/blog/must-have-prints-this-fall/
3.Put on some Boots
This season is all about boots,Western,Knee High or Patent it is the must have footwear of the season.
4.Make a Statement with a Bag
This season it is all about the statement bag,bold,colorful and lots of logos and bling.The bag is the new star of your outfit.
5.Wrap a Scarf
On your head,your neck or just about anywhere on your body it is all about the visual attention a great iconic scarf brings.
So with these 5 simple things you can up for Fashion game this Fall!
Yes we are in the middle of glorious weather and fantastic sales.It is easy be taken in by the great 70% or even 80% off deals and think of all the money you are saving and buy things that really do not work. Beware Sale Remorse is one of the most common afflictions of the great Summer Sale Season as most items are on final sale.
I say now is the time to focus on Value and Versatility.I also recommend as a counterpoint that you be a little daring and take some fashion risks and may be get a piece or two that is a little out of you comfort zone,maybe a red dress or a navy jumpsuit?You can afford to take a little risk when prices are so great.Always remember to focus on items that fit your body and flatter your personality.
Here are the 7 items you should focus on.
Besides by getting two of the same scarf for the price of one you can do all these fabulous things with them.
-Use this opportunity to stock up on Tanks,Camisoles and classic Tees in Black,White and Nude.You will have to freshen up these pieces on a regular basis.Look for great leggings as well.Make sure you buy a full set of white camissoles,tanks and tees and store them in acid free paper for next Spring.
-White button Front Shirts,Classic cashmere V-necks,A little Black Dress and A great Blazers are all items that are worth the investment.These are pieces that are timeless and are the building blocks of your wardrobe.
-A fantastic black leather handbag,timeless nude pumps,a beautiful evening clutch or a beaded luxurious shawl.Think of these as items you will use in your life time and then share with your daughters.Here are some items that are going to be big this Fall.
Always be a Smart Shopper