How to rock flats for the holidays!
Comfort and Glamour need not be mutually exclusive when it comes to shoes. We have all seen iconic images of Audrey Hepburn rocking flats but Natalie Portman, Emily Watson and Anne Hathaway all rock flats on the red carpet. Anne Hathaway is the queen of wearing flats on the red carpet and does it all the time, which caused a huge controversy in Cannes when they decided it were not appropriate and banned them.Fortunately they are not banned this holiday season from all your fun, fabulous, events.
There were a lot of comments on my last post about heels, where women said it is hard for them to wear them,they prefer flats but it sometimes makes them feel “dumpy”.By following these five simple things, you can rock flats this holiday and never miss putting on a pair of heels.
Always remember when you are confident,comfortable and cute is when you have the most fun.
1. Find the shoe that flatters your body.
There are two kinds of flats out there for holiday right now.
Beneath the ankle flats such as loafers,ballet flats,mules and sandals.
Above the ankle flats such as low boots, cage flats and booties
Beneath the ankle flats are certainly those that work the best.By revealing the ankle, they show the full length of the leg without “cutting” it. They are the best choice to elongate your figure and are most flattering to all body types. The best way to wear them is always show your ankle which is a sexy body part on all women.So flash some ankle.
Above the ankle flats tend to reduce the length of the leg a bit. So they are great if you are taller 5 feet 5 inches or have long legs.If you have shorter or wider legs, and want to wear an above the ankle flat make sure you balance it with your outfit.
2. Choose styles carefully when shopping.
Pointy toe flats work best with wide leg pants while round toe ballet flats work best with ankle length pant styles that show a little skin. Open toe flats look good with skinny pants and short skirts. Always wear a closed toe flat with a long skirt. When wearing flats with a short dress or skirt make sure they show some toe cleavage. (Yes that is a thing) which is very sexy and elongates your leg. Only wear loafers with a pant. So think about what you are going to wear your flats with when you are buying them.
3. Make sure your flats are stylish, Bright colors, lux fabrics and textures to add some flair to your look. Embrace a fun print or embellished flats. Bedazzled flats look great with cocktail dresses. Velvet, Lace and Metallic flats are big this season. Victorian details like ruffles, buckles and bows are all the rage as well.Stay away from very basic flats if you are wearing them to an event.
4. Choose quality. Sure you can snag a pair flats at a discount store for $9.99. In the case of shoes, you get what you pay for and if you are planning to wear them to events and not just around the house invest in high quality flats. The material and construction are very important. You want these to last more than a couple of wears or seasons.This is very important.
5. Make sure your outfit and your flats are in harmony.
Rocking a dress or with your flats? Choose a shorter skirt or dress that falls away from your hips and hits you right above the knee to avoid looking stumpy. You could also cheat a little and rock a kitten heel or sliver of a wedge to give you a little boost.Nude flats will really elongate your legs.
Rocking a pant with your flats? Make sure if you are wearing narrow pants they end above you ankle when wearing them with ballet flats or sandals. When wearing it with an above the ankles flat like a bootie make sure you tuck pant in.When wearing it with a wide leg pant make sure the back of your pant is ¼” above the back of your shoe. Wide leg pants look good with simple pointy toe flats.
Make sure your pants do not drag on the floor. When you buy pants decide if you are going to wear them with heels or flats and hem them accordingly.
Here are some great LBD flat combinations.
Here are some great pant and flats combinations.