As sale season is upon us and with retailers throwing all kinds of sales nearly every week it is all about the deal.It is way too easy to catch “Sale-Mania” shop frantically and then watch your “Deals”hang in your closet for months on end and going to Goodwill with tags attached.Walking around NYC it seems that almost every store is dangling a crazy deal.Here are tips on being a smart shopper right now.
Be a “Thriftanista” by avoiding the most common pitfalls and searching for truly great pieces that will enhance for Fashionista status.
- “When I loose 20 pounds it will be perfect”
STOP, only buy what fits you now.Go on a shopping spree to celebrate once you loose the 20 pounds.
It is important to dress the body you have right now!
- “I may need it someday”
Unless,you have a need for it in the next 6 months put it back,you will always find something better, trends can change.
- “It is a steal”
OMG it is 90% off ,they are giving it away.If you never wear it that is still money you flushed down the toilet.
- Layering pieces-Use this opportunity to stock up on Tanks,Camisoles and classic Tees in Black,White and Nude.You will have to freshen up these pieces on a regular basis.This is specially true of anything you wear in white.Also a good time to stock up on basic leggings and jeans for the fall.
- Classic Pieces-White button Front Shirts,Classic V-necks sweaters,a Little Black Dress and Great blazers are all items that are worth the investment.These are pieces that are timeless and are the building blocks of your wardrobe.Look for clean lines and timeless fabrics.
- Investment Pieces-A fantastic black leather handbag,timeless nude pumps,a beautiful evening clutch.Think of these as items you will use in your life time and then pass down with your daughters.
- Bathing suits-If you are planning a winter get away this is the time to buy a new bathing suit as the next time they will be available is February.Chose a classic style in black,navy or red that fits well but has some ease.Make sure you pick up a great cover up as well.Store them in a breathable bag and you will be all set for your next getaway.
- Trend Pieces that go in to Fall-At this point we know what the top trends for fall are.We are seeing some of the trends carrying forward.As far as color goes both red and pink are very strong this Fall.Florals specially on darker grounds with roses leading the way are going to be the must have going forward.Menswear inspired pants and jackets are a key wardrobe item come September.Pieces that fit these trends can be snapped up for a bargain and remixed in the fall with velvet and corduroy to create on trend looks.