Major winter weather is here and some of you have had almost 2 weeks of below freezing temperatures.We are expecting record low temperatures starting today all over the United States and Canada.
Winter is no excuse to look like a Bag lady or a Michelin man just to stay warm.Style never freezes.Staying warm and cozy means piling on the layers but once inside you may encounter near tropical temperatures.Your look has to work both indoors and outside.
Layering adds complexity to a fashionista’s quest to maintain a certain level of chic.Just getting in and out of layers tends to mess up hair,makeup and general decorum.If you are not careful you can end up looking and feeling like a very messy layer cake.
Follow these simple 5 steps to stay fashionable,chic and comfortable no matter how low the temperature drops.
1.Choose your base layer wisely.
Most people think no one is going to see it so why bother and then you get to a really hot office or department store and have to strip down.Your first layer should be
- Soft,absorbent and great feeling against your skin.Cotton,Merino and Cashmere are all great fabrics for a base layer.
- Have a close to the body fit and can stand alone if needed.Leggings and Tights are are great under pants and skirts.
- Be in a skin flattering color.
- If it is really cold there are technical fabrics that help trap heat like Uniqlo’s Heattech which is very affordable. https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/women/heattech-collection?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7briBRD7ARIsABhX8aCCZqASbYdbee6Pq2jwg3ZBtAxNlMb6hKffLug8JugVi6LD_OF3BFQaAqnmEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
2.Your layers should work together.
- Your next layer should be easy on,easy off to not destroy hair and make up.Zip and button fronts work really well,as to cowls and deep necklines.
- Your pieces should all have the same feel or spirit working together and standing alone.Make sure they all have the same mood.
- Lay out all the pieces on the bed and do a quick check before you put them on.
- If it is really cold go with a chunky wool sweater as it traps air.
3.Create interesting color stories.
- Stick to the same color family with one pop color.Start mixing in a Spring piece or two.
- If you choose to go monochromatic mix up your textures or else your outfit will look flat.Avoid all black if you can.
- Pay attention to your skin tone,most people get paler in the winter so something that looked great 3 months ago may not work right now.
4.Pay attention to fit.
- Every layer should be figure flattering,as you go up make sure each layer is slightly bigger.
- Nothing looks worse than jamming four layers under a jacket or coat that was made for one.The stuffed sausage look is one of the most common layering mistakes.Opt for a wrap coat or a poncho that can take many layers and look good.The good news is technical innovations in fabric and construction have created coats that are super warm and thin at the same time.They are pricey but worth the investment.Look for a more classic style that will not go out of date.
- Make sure you have mobility especially that you can drive once you get in to a car.
5.Make sure to ice the layer cake which is your outfit.
- Your final layer is the most important,Do not fall in to the trap of “I am going to take my coat off when I get there so let me just throw on this old super warm thing”This is a common mistake.You will run in to several people before you get your coat off it is Murphy’s law.Match your coat to your look;have a great sporty coat for day that goes well with jeans and pants and have a dressier one for night that works with dresses and skirts.For most occasions the ideal top layer is an easy fitting coat that looks stylish no matter how many layers lie beneath.
- Have fun with accessories,make sure you always have a great scarf and gloves that complement your outfit. A stylish hat will keep you warm and chic.You lose a lot of your body heat from your head so choose one that fits well. Faux fur is a big trend this season and keeps you super warm.Carry a bigger handbag that will allow you to store a layer until you need it.
- Boots are the way to go for footwear.They really complete a layered look and can be both warm and stylish.Make sure you get a pair with great traction because a fashionista must always be upright.Carry your cute heels in your bigger bag for when you get to your destination.