August is usually the month when all fashion magazines focus on denim.Jeans are a great way to transition from Summer to Fall and a great pair is the building block to a versatile wardrobe.It is the number one seller for back to school with distressed and decorated denim being the big trend right now.I have been designing denim for all most 25 years and here are the most frequent questions I get.I have answered the questions briefly so you get the information you need and do not have to spend hours reading all the August issues.
Here is how to find Jeans that flatter your body and give you the look you need!
1.My Workplace now allows me to wear Jeans to work. What are the rules to follow?
- Go for a Dark Wash with Minimal Decoration
- Dress up with Dressy Tops, Sweaters & Jackets
- Add Elegant Accessories
- Keep it Smart with a Casual Vibe
- Pick the Right Shoes
2.With so many different types of denim, what should I look for in a Pair of Jeans that will be Versatile?
- Stretch – Comfort & Fit
- Poly Cotton or Cotton Spandex Blend – Easy Care
- Great Hand with a Clean Wash
- Mid Weight (8 ozs to 10 ozs) – Great all Year round weight
- Classic Style
3.I have heard so much about having the Right Fitting Jeans in order for them to be Flattering. What should I be looking for when I try a pair on?
- Contoured Waistband
- Waist – Not too Tight
- Rise – 1 to 3 inches below your Belly Button
- No Whiskers in Front
- Fitted through the Thigh and Knee
- Flared or Straight depending on your Body Shape and preference
- Check out you Rear View should be snug but not too tight
- The side seam should be straight( if it is distorted your jeans are too tight)
4.What is the Correct Length for my Jeans?
- Front – Slight Break not too much fabric
- Flats in the back -Touch the Floor
- Heels in the back -1/4 inch off the Floor
- Better to have separate pairs to wear with heels and flats,but an H on the label for the ones that are hemmed for heels
5.In order to get the Best Fit from my Jeans what should I wear under them?
Magic begins with the Right Foundation,make sure your underwear is:
- Not creating any Visible Panty Lines
- Not too Tight
- Has a Lower Rise than your Jeans
- Nude in color is best specially under white jeans
- Tummy and Thigh control if your jeans are supper skinny
6.What is the most flattering jeans for my body shape?
- Pear Body Shapes: Bootleg with dark wash,medium rise
- Apple Body Shapes: Straight Legs that is cropped with a higher waist
- Strawberry Body shape:Wide leg or flare is a lighter wash,decorated below the knee
- Hourglass Body shape:All leg shapes and rises work but avoid boyfriend jeans
- Pencil Body shape:longer length straight or flared legs,slightly higher rise
- See cheatsheet for other flattering details
So these are the top six issues that come up in most minds when they shop for denim.Take your time to find the right pair for you.